Skip to main content

GET THE JOB: What not to do in an interview


Boy-oh-boy do I run into the winners when I'm trying to hire! Here's a very recent story (today) that happened in a phone interview for a telemarketing/salesperson:

I ran and ad; D. answered it claiming to be "Mr. Sales Pitch." All looked good, so I responded with more particulars and also reiterated the pay and hours to start.

D. requested we speak and seemed amendable with particulars. I thought we were on the right track and called him looking forward to answering questions about my services, what he'd be selling, customers to target, etc. You know, typical interview questions about the job. I had outlined hours and pay in the emails TWICE so I figured that was acceptable.

D. made the basic mistakes and the call resulted in an abrupt ending. Here's how D. approached it:

First, it was all about him; not one question about services or products or prices or how he'd be paid or what I needed...not one.

The call focused on D. and his demands for more pay, more hours, claims that starting with just a few "probationary hours" per week wouldn't and couldn't result in much of anything.

I agreed. I explained I wanted to get a feel of how we worked together and how he worked before giving more hours. He seemed very upset about this; actually argumentative.

He started to tell me that the reason I had not had successful results with employees before was because of low pay...

At this point, I thanked him and hung up.

Seriously? Arguing? Dictating? This is not how you complete a successful interview. Especially a SALES interview. Where was the "can-do" attitude? Where were the questions about commissions and bonuses that any salesperson worth his salt would ask?

Another candidate bites the dust due to "me only" attitude, and not reading the job requirements or preparing questions. People: It's a two-way street. You have to be interested in what you can do for the employer; not just what they can do for you.

Buh-bye.

Want to know how to GET THE JOB? It's not pretty; it's just the truth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Paint with Acrylics - Painting Tutorial - Creating Textured Art ...

How to Paint with Acrylics - Painting Tutorial  - Creating Textured Art ... Learn how to create original textured art painting from scratch. http://www.facetimeart.com ETSY: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtLovebyKaren

Unboxing Art Supplies - New Paint Set -

Unboxing Art Supplies - New Paint Set I just got this and I thought I'd share... If you're just starting out this is a killer set of paints. Good quality plus lots of colors and pretty inexpensive (under $35). http://www.facetimeart.com/artsupplies.htm Create to your heart's content - I'm going to! http://www.facetimeart.com/artsupplies.htm **Be sure to sign up for my ART INSIDERS - free print every month!** People often ask what I'm using and where to get it, so here's a few items...I'll be adding more ... (amazon links - yes, I'll get a $ nugget if you purchase which will help me fund and create more tutorials.) Link: http://www.facetimeart.com/artsupplies.htm